Create powerful interactive dashboards with Microsoft Business Intelligence suite .
Make data driven decision by turning data into insights with Power BI.
TRAINING PRICE: 1290€ VAT excld. per participant
The following discounts are applicable to this course:
- Discount 15 days early bird: 15%
- Discount Coupon Code: 15%
- Discount group booking up to 3 participants: 10% additional per person
- Discount group more than 3: email at email@example.com
Introduction to Power BI
Excel is one of the most used software to produce analyses and reports. Microsoft leveraged on Excel strengths, power and flexibility to deliver several Business intelligence solutions grouped into Power Bi suite artefacts (Power Query/Pivot/View and Power BI Desktop/service). In this module, we draw the framework of the training, introducing the different core concepts of Power BI:
- Self-Service BI versus Enterprise BI.
- Core concepts of Power BI.
- Installing Power BI Desktop and Power BI addins in Excel.
- Installing the Power BI Service and Sharepoint website
Getting started with Power BI Desktop
Power BI Desktop is a free and self-service software which helps to build and share powerful reports. Thanks to our case study, you will first learn how to load, clean and consolidate data from one or more sources, then build a basic data model to share online.
- The Power BI Excel and Desktop User Interface.
- Build Queries to load data with Power Query.
- Build a basic Data Model with Power Pivot.
- Create a basic Report with Power View.
- Migrate an Excel Data Model to Power BI Desktop.
- Publish to the Power BI Service.
Enhancing a Data Model
In this module we the standard data model will be enriched with additional information. This involves amongst others setting up relationships between different tables, formatting rules, derived calculations (such as Year-To-Date), sorting order etc. In this module you will learn about the most common modelling tasks and how to apply them in data modelling.
- Rename columns and tables
- Hide columns and tables from the Data Model
- Convert columns data type and formatting
- Work with numerical fields
- Create computed columns with DAX
- Sorting data in columns
- Data categorization
- Define Hierarchies based on a single table
- Define relationships between tables
Designing Reports in Power BI Desktop
After our data has been enriched, we will build our reports. Power BI allows you to create powerful interactive dashboards. In this module you will explore many visualizations as well as the interaction between those.
- Overview of the build-in Visuals
- Create table and Matrix Reports
- Work with Charts
- Plot spatial data
- Use Slicers and Report Filters
- Work with custom Visuals
Introduction to Power BI Service
Power BI service allows you to publish online, manage and share them with others. In this module you will learn about the general features of this Power BI service, the next modules dive into the details.
- What is the Power BI Service?
- Power BI Service pricing and features
- Working with Datasets and Reports
Creating Datasets and Reports in Power BI Service
For some types of reporting you do not want to go through the hassle of creating a dataset in Power BI Desktop. That’s why for a limited set of data sources we can start using them directly from the Power BI service without the need to first create an offline model. In this module you’ll learn how to create these models directly in the Power BI Service. Also, when accessing a model in the Power BI Service we get extra querying features not available in Power BI Desktop. These as well you will experience in this module.
- Personal vs App Workspaces
- Creating Datasets in the Power BI Service
- Using Quick Insights
- Creating Reports in Power BI Service
- Printing Reports
- Export to PowerPoint
- Using Publish to Web with Reports
- Analyze in Excel
Creating Dashboards and Analyzing Data with Power BI Service
Dashboards allow you to combine visuals from different reports into one page. This module teaches you to build and customize these dashboards in the Power BI Service.
- Creating Dashboards
- Printing Dashboards
- Working with Power BI Q&A
Sharing Content in the Power BI Service
Power BI has different mechanisms to share content with other users: Sometimes you want to share in order to develop something together, or you want others to customize something, or maybe you want others to have read-only permissions on the shared object. In this module you’ll learn how to accomplish this with the different sharing options in the Power BI Service.
- Sharing Dashboards with internal users
- Sharing Dashboards with external users
- Sharing content with Office 365 groups
- Creating Power BI Apps
- Consuming Power BI Apps
- Using Publish to Web with Dashboards
Using Power BI with Mobile Devices
Power BI reports can adjust to a different form factor. This module shows you how to design you reports for viewing on e.g. a smart phone.
- Supported Platforms
- Designing Dashboards for mobile devices
- Accessing Reports and Dashboards from mobile devices
Writing Queries to load data
If your data sources contain data that requires extra processing, you can learn in this module to filter data, combine tables and do more advanced Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) operations using the M language in Power BI Desktop.
- Overview of supported Data Sources
- Loading data versus using Direct Query
- Creating Hierarchies based on multiple tables
- Transforming data
- Joining or combining Queries
- Writing Power Query functions
- Working with Power Query Parameters
Enhancing the Data Model using DAX
Data modeling can be challenging when advanced calculations are needed. This is why Power BI uses a dedicated language DAX (Data Analysis expressions) to define these advanced calculations. In this module you can get familiar with the most commonly used DAX expressions and how to use them within Power BI Desktop.
- DAX Core concetps.
- DAX data types and operators
- Commonly used DAX functions
- Referencing other tables in DAX
- Row versus filter context
- Using CALCULATE
- DATE FUNCTIONS
- Adding Time Intelligence using DAX
Managing Data Refresh from Power BI Service
Data models that are uploaded to the Power BI Service need to have their data refreshed from time to time. This module shows the different options to do this data refresh, for cloud data as well as data which runs on-premises.
- The need for a Power BI Gateway
- Installing and configuring the Power BI Personal Gateway
- Scheduling Dataset refreshes
- Direct Query and the Power BI Personal Gateway
- Working with OneDrive for Business
Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools to analyze data and share insights. Power BI Desktop turns your company’s data into insights directly available into rich visuals available on every device.
In this training you learn how to write queries with Power BI Desktop and Power BI Excel to collect data from databases, cubes, online Excel files, Facebook…. You will learn how to enrich the data model with relationships, hierarchies, DAX calculated columns and measures… And finally you will see how to create interactive reports using the large set of visualization available in Power BI Desktop and share them using PowerBI.com and Power BI Mobile apps.
This course is dedicated to each Manager and Reporting analysts with or without IT background as well as IT department involved with Business Intelligence projects.
The prices listed on our course calendar include:
- Participation to the instructor-led course in Brussels.
- Course book, containing the presentations and hands-on-labs, except otherwise mentioned.
- Coffee and soft drinks during the training.
- 1 lunch with choice of menus.
Price conditions are applicable only to the courses listed on the public Hectagon Consulting course calendar.
Prices are listed in EURO and do not include 21% VAT. There is no VAT charged for VAT registered companies in the European Union other than Belgium. VAT will not be charged for companies outside the European Union.
If you book your course online, you can save up to 50% off the listed prices. Depending on the course, the following discounts might be available:
- 15% discount for 14-Day Advance Prepayment: On the more popular courses, Hectagon consulting will offer you an extra 15% discount if you pay in advance. To qualify for this 14-Day Advance Prepayment Discount, Hectagon Consulting must receive the full payment of the training at least two weeks prior to the scheduled course. Important restriction: if you choose this advance prepayment discount, your registration will be final and cannot be refunded, cancelled or changed.
- Group Discount: To encourage you to register multiple participants in the same course session, we offer special discounts:
- 10% additional discount for the second and third participant of the same company.
Cancellations up to 8 days before the course or seminar are at no charge. Cancellations after this date, as well as no-shows, will be liable for the full registration fee. Substitutions may be made at any time by providing Hectagon Consulting with written notice of the names of both the original and substitute registrant. Please send cancellation and/or substitution information by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org